Saturday, December 6, 2008

So, That's Why Hawkeye was into Her

I am a huge fan of "M*A*S*H." I liked the tv show I liked the movie. I liked the books. "M*A*S*H" turned me into a fan of acting, because it made me aware when I was a small child that actors could appear in more than one role. Macia Strassman played Margie Cutler for a year on M*A*S*H and then Julie on "Welcome Back Kotter." I do not know what the people on MASH did not like about her, but she apparently was only on six episodes.

There are a couple other actresses from MASH that Hawkeye was into who did not seem that attractive on the show, who I only saw years later and realized when she was in another outfit on Qunicy that she actually was worth the trouble hawkeye seemed to be going through over her. Or Gretchen Corbett. She was Rockford's lawyer on "The Rockford Files." She shows up in a bikini on "Columbo."

I was wondering about this the other day, because an actress showed up on a DVD, and I could not figure out where I has seen before. Well, she has guest-starred on "The Pretender." The question, of course, is whether recognizing an actor from a different role throws the audience out of the story.

For many years I insisted the world's greatest living actor was Bill Daily who played essentially the same role on "I Dream of Jeannie" and "The Bob Newhart Show" and never threw me out of the show.

No comments: