Wednesday, December 3, 2008

It's a Fair Cop

I have decided that Hugh Laurie is the best actor in the world. I say this because I have followed his career since the late-1980's. Black Adder, Jeeves and Wooster, A Bit of Fry and Laurie. He's a brilliant comedian. I watch him on House, and his American accent is so good, most people who did not know him at the start of the show do not realize he is British. But here's the thing: Hugh Laurie is an icon of British comedy, and I ahev known this for years. So last night, I am watching House, and House makes a Monty Python and the Holy Grsil reference. And I thought, "Huh, I wonder who the Monty Python fan is on the House set." Hugh laurie was right there on screen, and I thought "I wonder who the Monty Python fan is on the House set."

So, rather than admit that I am a moron, I have decideed that Hugh Laurie is just that good. He made me forget who he was so totally that even when a reference on the show threw me into a metatextual consideration of who made the Python reference, and Hugh frickin' Laurie was right there on the goddam screen, it still took me a second to realize that it might have been an adlib, because Hugh Laurie probably knows every line of Python by heart.

2 comments:

Carl said...

I'm told that Laurie is in fact a friend of several of the surviving Pythons.

Robin said...

I suppose I should watch something Laurie is in. At least twice, when in California, our friend Ben has insisted that I watch YouTube videos of old Laurie stuff.