Sunday, December 21, 2008

Richard Dreyfus would make a Good Adama

I finally managed to track down "The Education of Max Bickford." I really liked the show when it was on. It changed direction a couple times. For reasons beyond me, they added Jay Thomas in the middle of the show. They forgot the daughter thought she was pregnant in the pilot. They brought Peter O'Toole in for the penultimate episode. In between it wandered around pretty much aimlessly. I cannot figure out why I like the show. I suppose I do not technically need a reason. Never the less, I am watching the episodes again, and I still like the show.

One thing that bothers me is something that bothered in a couple other place. In the book, Hannibal, Thomas Harris makes Lector out to be a brilliant Dante scholar. The actual Dante scholarship in the book, however, the actual Dante stuff presented in the book kind of sucks. In comic books, characters are sometimes presented as superintelligent or brilliant in some area, but they are limited in what the author actually knows, so Kang the Conqueror knows nothing about military tactics. In Max Bickford, the main character has written a novel that purports to be some combination of Philip Roth, John Updike and James Joyce, but the actual snippets of content we hear in narration stink.

I do not have a good way to address this, and I am not sure it needs to be addressed, but you would think that if a main character is supposed to be brilliant at something, the writers would find someone who actually was, and make sure.

The tv show "Chef!" is an excellent take on a kitchen. Better than reality hows, because in a reality show the camera rolls and people are self conscious. In a scripted show based on reality, the actors have no reason to hide. Now, this obviously has problems. I can't expect "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" to make sure it's history course are accurate in the classroom scenes, because the show is not about history. But if the fighting techniques look wrong, that is another thing entirely. Anyway, I still enjoy Max Bickford, and I have finally found it, and I am happy.

No comments: