Sunday, January 25, 2009

Maybe It's Okay If You Wear Jeans

So, here's an awkward etiquette question. Suppose you go to a strip club with some friends. Suppose this is not a local strip club, but somewhat far afield. Further suppose that you did not really want to go but were essentially dragged there. Oncethere, however, well, you're single and straight, so what the hell? So you are at the stage watching some skinny 22-year old with implants ride a pole, and thinking "You know, she'd snap in half if I tried to do anything more aggressive than give her a polite hug." And then, suppse, you recognized one of the dancers from somewhere else? What's the rule on this? You can't really pay her for a lap dance. You can't tip someone else, and not her. You can't ask her "Hey, is that you?" When you see her in real life, do you just ignore it? Do you say, nice abs, what is your workout routine? What's the solution?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unless she seems like she doesn't want to be recognized, you treat her the same way you'd treat anybody else who you ran into when they were doing their job. If someone you know from somewhere else waits on you at a restaurant, do you tip more, less? I'd do the same (I tend to tip more in that situation).

I had a similar issue to this once. We'd hired a dancer/stripper for a friend's bachelor party (it was being held in a restaurant, so there was only so much she was ever going to take off, so it's not exactly the same thing you're talking about). I can't remember if they gave me a name when I was on the phone, but if they did, I didn't recognize it. When the dancer came, however, some of the guys in our party knew her (and her boyfriend) from a writer's group. She did her routine for us, and they talked to her a little bit when it was over. I can't remember for sure, but I suspect we tipped her a bit more than we would have had it been an anonymous dancer.