Friday, January 9, 2009

I Bet John Ford Never had These Problems...

So the producer of Watchmen has written an open letter. essentially saying that Warner did all the work, so they should get the money. I do not know or care what is involved here, because I am a lawyer, if I spend time and effort analyzing the case, and the goniffs at Warner, who apparently have no problem just appropriating intellectual work from other people, find my brilliant legal analysis on the net, they'll use it...without paying me! For me the issue is simple: is this lawsuit saving us from a crappy, bastardized version of Watchmen?

I've watched a couple trailers and interview with Zack Snyder, the man who gave us "300," and I have to say that the answer appears to be "Yes." Ferchrisakes, FOX, sue! Sue for all you want! They infringed on your rights! Sue! SUE! SUUUEEEEE!!!!!!!

Save us from the whining about the movie. Save us from the drooling over the movie. Or at least save me. I've read the comic. "300" sucks. It was visually impressive, and I saw it at IMAX so OHMYHOLYGOD. Also, it didn't really matter that "300" sucked because the comic kind of sucked anyway. But Watchmen was actually a good comic book. Zack Snyder's interviews sound really, really silly and pretentious. I don't think Watchmen is unfilmable, but I have not seen anything to indicate that Snyder has done anything more than transfer the visuals to film, and as I have pointed out previously, who cares? That has nothing to do with what made Watchmen interesting.

Meanwhile, "The Brave and the Bold" tv cartoon is actually pretty good. And I am pretty enthusiastic about the Legion of Super-Heroes on "Smallville." But "Watchmen" can tay in legal limbo until it becomes public domain for all I care.

No comments: