Monday, November 24, 2008

Zero Mostel said...

Romanian cooking has killed more Jews than Hitler.

So where does deli food come from?

Pastrami is actually smoked, brined beef. At Manny's, in Chicago, I believe they just smoke their corned beef. Their corned beef is just about the best I have ever had, and their pastrami is one of the transcedent culinary experiences of the world.

There is such a thing as turkey pastrami, which I assumed to be some sort of crime against food, but is apparently quite popular in Europe and in Israel. I might be forced to taste some.

Knishes are dumplings. Chopped liver kishes are my favorite, but I do not find them around here. Manny's has potato knishes, which are beef inside mashed potatoes. Manny's also has an excellent Matzo ball soup.

The Reuben, made from corned beef, kraut and russian dressing on rye, is either from New York or Oklahoma. The Rachel is made with Turkey and cole slaw.

Which brings me to the real point of this rant:

WHy are we making deli food out of turkey? Okay, we have to use chicken for the chopped liver and the schmaltz. But turkey? Turkey gives the whole exercise the stench of health food.

There are other deli staples lke franks and beans or brisket or various fish like gefilte fish. But if you walk into a deli once in your life, I recommend, pastrami on an onion roll.

No comments: