Sunday, November 30, 2008

Maybe We Can Introduce Dexter to the Joker

Every week I watch "Dexter" with my dad. This week something struck me which also struck me last season. Dexter has a lot in common with the Fawcett Captain Marvel. If you actually read the old Fawcett Cap comics, those are some dark stories. His villains are some of the most truly evil and vicious nasties around, and Captain Marvel and Billy have no problem at all sinking to their level should the occasion demand it. The stories are told with cartoony art and in a light-hearted almost comedic tone. They have to be or they never could have gotten away with the stories they were telling.

Dexter is in the same boat. It's about a serial killer, and it's as black a comedy as I can imagine. Last season and this season have a character trying to kill Dexter, but I feel no tension. Why? He has it coming. He's a sociopath, like Hannibal Lector or Mr. Mind. I don't worry about him because he's evil. But also, because the show is a black comedy, I know they won't kill him. Heck, they will not even injure him seriously, because then his friends might notice. Also, every time someone takes him on one-on-one, he wins. In a way he's a supervillain, and those guys never lose permanently.

I actually found myself thinking today, when Dexter was kidnapped, "Bad move, brother." I don't think that Dexter is my first choice of kidnap victim. picture "The Ransom of Red Chief" with Shang Chi, master of Kung Fu as Red Chief.

I found "The Sopranos" unwatchable toward the end, because Tony was a monster and I did not want to root for him. I do not root for Dexter, but since it is a comedy, it doesn't matter. I would like a crossover maybe with CSI: Miami.

No comments: