Sunday, July 8, 2007

We Have a Drinking Problem

I have noticed a shift, in the last several years, in the way
restaurants handle beverages. The leisure service dining
establishments such as Red Lobster and Outback Steakhouse are
no longer listing the prices of the beverages on the menus.
Restaurants are also now charging for soda water. Additionally,
some fast food joints are charging for a glass for water even
if you order food in the restaurant.

These practices bother me on a few levels. I realize that soft
drinks are a source of both profit and frustration to a lot of
restaurants. If you go into a Bennigan's and order a diet cola,
you typically get free refills. The server has to come by to
check on the customer several times. They have to make the some
of the drinks like ice tea or lemonade, and they have to deal
with changing the syrup and gas tanks on the machines. All that
effort goes to maintain for something they only charge around
$2.00 a glass for.

On the other hand, that two dollars a glass is probably almost
pure profit. Not listing the price bothers me because the
drinks can be as much as $2.50, and it is tough on the servers
too, because the prices on certain drinks can be higher than
others on the same menu. I asked a server about this phenomenon
on one occasion. She said customers got upset when they found
out a coke was $1.95 but a raspberry iced tea was $2.10. Think
about that. You sit down. You order a drink with a group of
people. You itemize the bill. Suddenly, you can't figure out
why you are two bucks short, until you factor in the drinks.

Now, I would think an intelligent server would warn the guests
in advance that, by the way, those drinks cost different
amounts. However, they ought to, because the restaurants
should tell a family of five that they are going to spend ten
to twelve extra dollars on dinner than they thought. It costs
more for a glass of cola in a restaurant than it does for two
liters in the supermarket. I accept that, but don't try to
insult my intelligence by not listing the price on the menu.
Plus, I just know that one day they'll raise the price
to $5.00, because they won't even have to change the menu.
In any event, I will almost never order soda pop in a restaurant
that does not list the price, because I find this practice
morally objectionable.

I used to order soda water. However, many restaurants are
charging the same for soda water as for soft drinks, which is
to say, we have no idea what they are charging. Soda water
involves even less outlay on their part because there's no
syrup involved. Some restaurants do not charge for soda water.
On the other hand, the only way to find out is to ask.
Asking brings up another issue. It's "only" a couple bucks. If
you quibble you seem cheap. Now, in principle I don't rightly
care what some server at Outback thinks of me, but it's
annoying to get a look from some high school student because I
want to know how much I am paying for soda pop and whether, in
fact, I am paying for soda water at all. In any event, I like
water better anyway, so I am usually happy to stick with it.

There are, of course, other issues with soda pop. It tends to
have caffeine and sugar and the diet versions have other
chemicals. The main ingredients in colas is phosphoric acid,
which leeches the calcium from human bones. Water is a fine
alternative. Yesterday, I went to a local fast food joint and
got a sandwich. I asked for a glass of water. The cashier said,
"I have to charge you five cents for the cup." Now, I realize,
that's "only" five cents, but there's a reason for the saying
"nickel-and-diming you to death." I refused to get the water
there, went home, and drank it out of the tap. I could understand
if I hadn't also ordered food, but I did.

Next time, how can it be prime rib if they use USDA
choice cuts of beef
.

No comments: